Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What are you thankful for?


I know I haven't been religiously posting my thoughts on this space right here, but since school has started, I've been swamped with revisions and all that. All of those, and it's only the third week in. Still going strong though!

You know during those long bus rides to and fro, where you stare out your window and just ponder about life as the somewhat scenic view passes by? Yeah I don't think I'm the only one who does that, and today was no exception.

I've been through some trials and tribulations in the past, and everyone definitely has had their fair share of their hard times. Usually I would complain about everything under the sun because it's the norm, and I guess we all channel our frustrations out the best way we know how - blaming others, one way or another at least.

Over the weekend and the past few days, especially with the madness of the General Elections happening and the really really horrible haze, I've found so much to be thankful for. You may or may not agree with me, but to each their own.

I won't deny that I've been complaining about the haze as much as everyone else - about how high the PSI is, how we can't breathe properly, how Indonesia needs to learn to accept help from Singapore because we're suffering under their supposed 'wrath'. And then I realized, it's not always about me. 

The thought never crossed my mind (I can be pretty shallow sometimes, I'm only human) about how the Indonesian citizens are taking the impact of their forest fires, or how the haze is taking its toll on Malaysia especially in addition to their recent economic downturn and their governmental issues. How, even in Brunei they're experiencing the haze as well albeit not as bad as the other countries, but we don't care to ask.

Think about it: we complain about the haze, and how the weather in Singapore is ridiculously hot and humid, how everything is expensive, how our transportation system is beginning to become unreliable, how Singapore is getting more and more overpopulated with foreign talent. That's all we do.

Dig deeper, and you'll realize that our biggest "natural disaster" would be an epidemic, or the haze we're experiencing, maybe in the future a lack of natural resources and a slight economic downturn in comparison to the bigger countries. Where people in other countries are braving huge torrential rains and floodings, earthquakes, tsunamis and typhoons.

We complain about how the foreign talent is everywhere; when they're simply here to get a job to support their families back home because things are not as easy. They might not have food on the table, or enough money to send their kids to school. We'll never know, because we just accuse them for "stealing our jobs". Yes, I agree a balance needs to be there, but nevertheless, we have to be impartial.

Our economy might occasionally deplete slightly, and things might be expensive, but we have stability. We have an impartial no-nonsense government to keep track of how things are run. Sometimes we might find it taxing and exhausting, but I'm just thankful they're not corrupt and they believe in diplomatic relations.

I am thankful that we have a place to call home, where everyone gets along when others are still feeling the impact of racism and inferiority.

I am thankful for having family and friends that support me, encourage me, advice me. Ultimately educate me and shape the person I've become, where others are abandoned and can only dream of feeling love.

I am thankful for the struggles that I've gone through over the past few years, because they have made me a stronger, more mature person.

I am thankful for this education system (regardless of the stress levels), because in certain parts of the world, books and technology are hard to come by.

I am thankful for the opportunities that this year alone I've been given to pursue my craft - to write for people and design for organizations that I never ever dreamt I would even get to 'touch', to cover various events and meet influencers and people of inspiration.

And I am thankful, for the Starhub person who called me at 12 am earlier to tell me that she's helping me waive off my data charges when she could be asleep right now.

Regardless of how small or unimportant something might seem to be, appreciate what you've got when you still can. It helps you look at things in a whole other, more positive, perspective.

Look back on your life.

What are YOU thankful for?


No comments:

Post a Comment