Friday, January 23, 2015

The SSEAYP Diaries: Home away from Home, Surabaya

Day two in Surabaya and we (RJ and I) were woken up with a uniquely Indonesian breakfast waiting on the dining table. I was exhausted, and didn't even shower the night before. RJ and I had a long talk just getting to know each other better, and exchanging stories from our own countries. Throughout the trip I found out so much more about the Philippines; and hopefully, I'll be lucky enough to make my way there in the future.



All of us piled into the car after getting ready, and Dad drove us to the Sampoerna museum. Yes, Sampoerna as in the cigarette brand. Apparently it originates from Surabaya, and I had no idea.



I swear my dad is freaking cute. HAHAHA.








RJ bought a couple of boxes of smokes to bring back home for her dad and her colleagues. I was just wondering if customs would catch me if I brought back a whole box....

We made our way to the Tugu Pahlawan, and a whole bunch of beautiful ruins greeted me.








After a stroll around the grounds (the underground museum was closed), Dad drove us to grab my favourite Indonesia dish ever for lunch - bakso!!! My Indonesian blood is strong with that one ;)

We headed to Es-teler to grab bakso, and the bakso I had was so so so good. I think better than the ones I had growing up (excluding the homemade kind of course). The soup was so flavourful and so good for a cold day.


The bakso I had was bakso halus; there's also a bakso kasar. So basically two different kinds of meatballs - rough and smooth. The rough one's so much better though, because you still have the texture of the meat. We had a bowl of es teler as well; es teler is basically a bowl of ice and syrup and it kinda resembles ice kacang in Singapore.



After lunch, we drove to the Cheng Hoo mosque. I was quite fascinated by this discovery. It's basically a mosque, but in temple form.




It shows how much culture has dissolved, and merged, so much so that such a beautiful creation appeared.


We left for home after that, dropping of our friend (the guy), and then Dad told us we could rest for awhile before we headed out for dinner. Our sisters weren't joining us; cause they had a sleepover somewhere. 

Dad took us to A&W for dinner. YES. We're not exactly supposed to eat fast food, but, hey, once in a lifetime.

Besides, A&W isn't available in SG anymore, neither is it available in the Philippines.




After that, we managed to visit Dad's office, and we tried to make skype work for us there.
Unfortunately it didn't ://

Last day there, and we were up early the next morning. Dad got us A&W to take on board the ship with us for lunch. 

Changed, and we went back down to meet the rest of the family to bring them around the ship.






They had to leave before we departed Surabaya and made our way back to Japan, so we ended up throwing the tape to our ex-participating youth. 

Couldn't believe that the program was basically almost over.


No comments:

Post a Comment